Monday, February 6, 2012

Self Tanner or Skin Cancer?!

Well, it's February now and I have finally hit my breaking point. I am missing the sunshine and sick of being pale!

Every year about this time I get the urge to go to a tanning bed, "just to get a little color." Even though I remind myself how horrible it is for my skin, I still have to fight myself on the idea. What could a couple times hurt, right?!

(Image from www.mycanceradvisor.com)


Well, according to the National Cancer Institute, women who use tanning beds more than once a month are 55 percent more likely to develop malignant melanoma, the most deadly form of skin cancer. That is a risk I am not willing to take!

After reminding myself of this, I realized its time to look into some alternative (and safe!) methods of getting some color. Of course, I looked to my trusty Allure magazine for their "Best of Beauty" products hoping to find one that will work for me.

The first recommendation was Lorac TANtalizer Body Bronzer, which is a temporary bronzer and retails for $32.00

The second recommendation was for St.Tropez Self Tan Bronzing Lotion. Bronzer and moisturizer in one? Sounds good to me! Retails for $40.00


The third recommendation was also by St.Tropez, Gradual Tan Body Moisturizer. Retails for $30.00

These three products have won the Best of Beauty awards, and with St.Tropez having won for two different products, I think I need to give them a shot! If any one as any other recommendations, I would love to hear them! Results to be continued!


Information provided by:
http://www.cancer.gov/newscenter/entertainment/tipsheet/tanning-booths
http://www.allure.com/beauty-products/best-of-beauty/2011/best-of-beauty-body#slide=6

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you that I would not take the risk of tanning beds and instead use a self tanner. I am always nervous though that I will look orange or the tanner will stain my clothes. So I guess until I am 100 percent sure these two things will not happen, I will live with being pale!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Amanda,

    I am glad that you have decided not to go to a tanning bed. Trying out some self tanner products sounds like a much safer idea. Of course, I also don't see a problem with going pale for a few months. You don't have to be tan to be good looking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clarins makes a really good self tanner! It's the first one I've used that I don't feel orange.
    Also, another tip to help with the paleness and fear of self-tanner, airbrush tanning! I absolutely love it whenever I have gotten it done and never feel orange from it!

    ReplyDelete